Monday, August 6, 2012

Dairy-free!

About a month ago I took the plunge and finally gave up dairy! It was something I knew I needed to do, I've been in denial over it for years because I love it so much.. well except cows milk. I have never liked drinking it straight because that's the worse for me. Growing up I always had horrible stomach aches and nausea after eating, but had no idea why. When Frank was deployed in 2008 I gave up dairy for a month. Man was it a glorious pain free month! I had also given up meat around that time and going vegan was a bit too much for me. So I added the dairy back in  (shockingly my stomach aches came back ha) and just dealt with the pain. Last year I also finally went to the doctor for my acne. Nothing was working and I was desperate. Being in my mid 20's with bad acne was not helping the self esteem. In a way a I knew it also had to do with the dairy, but again I didn't want to believe it.

Fast forward last month and I had enough. I finally gave it up! I still eat it here and there but not too often. By this point all I had to give up was cheese and butter ha. We've been drinking almond milk for years now, and I've been loving coconut yogurt and ice cream. We tried the vegan butter and actually love it.

I no longer have to worry about feeling sick after I eat. And guess what... my acne is completely gone! Part of that though is due to switching to cetaphil for a face/body wash and using clindamycin, benzoyl peroxide and every once in a while retin-a. It does suck when someone invites us to dinner and I have to make sure I have options though. But all in all I have been very happy being dairy free :]

I have a few blogs that have vegan options but I was searching for a vegan blog and came across Oh She Glows. Love it!! I've made Vegetable and Edamame pasta with basil cream sauce, 15 minute creamy avocado pasta, and Spicy potato 'n black bean burritos. They are all amazing!!! I only remembered to get a picture of the burritos.


I also tried making my own soft serve for the first time. I've seen this around the blog world for quite some time but never gave it the time of day because the first thing that came to mind was fast food ice cream. Nasty! Finally checked it out and of course it's healthy and super easy ha.


Frozen banana and fresh raspberries processed. Yum!! I put this over oats and was wishing I had some of the granola I make to top it with. Next up I want to try banana and peanut butter :]

Over the last week I have started an obsession with instagram and instapicframe. I have had the instagram app for almost a year now, I used it maybe 4 times over a few months then forgot about it.. again. During Frank's commands decomm ceremony I used it since the lighting was horrible on my pictures. Then last week I actually checked out what the app is all about. Yup I love it! I take so many pictures as is this is just a fun way for me to play around with them. I don't have it set up to facebook ( I wish I could get it to connect to here!!) so if you want to follow me my user name is emilybreanne. Look me up :]

2 comments:

Keri Ronk said...

Yay for dairy free! Did you try my not nacho cheese recipe yet? I think you will like it! I was always so creative with dinners when I was dairy free!

La Familia Workman said...

Good for you giving up dairy! What a change! I'm back to eating whole,organic and natural foods. I couldn't be happier or feel happier. It is a lifestyle change. Glad your husband is supporting you...thats really great. =)