Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Peppermint Meltaways

These are the last of my holiday treats I plan to make for Christmas {i'm secretly happy cause if I make anymore i'm going to balloon up!}, and I sure did leave some good ones for last. This was another recipe I found in the smart source coupons, so i'm sure there are other's similar floating around somewhere. I really can't describe how delicious these little suckers are. Thankfully they'll be gone to work with Frank tomorrow morning...


Peppermint Meltaways
Cookie Ingredients:
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
1-1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup Corn Starch

Glaze Ingredients:
1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
1 to 2 tablespoons milk
2 to 3 drops red food coloring, if desired {I opted not to use some}
candy canes or hard peppermint candy, crushed

Combine butter, powdered sugar and 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Reduce speed to low; add flour and cornstarch. Beat untli well mixed. Cover; refrigerate until firm (30 to 60 minutes).
Shape rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Let stand 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets. Cool completely.
Drizzle glaze over cooled cookies. To make glaze, combine powdered sugar, butter, peppermint extract and enough milk for desired glazing consistency in small bowl. Stir in food color, if desired. Immediately sprinkle with crushed candy.

2 comments:

La Familia Workman said...

MMmmmmm.... I wish I would have seen this recipe last week but I'd been so busy. You know how the holidays get. Anywho I made a peppermint snowball recipe from Sandra Lee and it came out horrible! I was frustrated because it was the cookie I was looking forward to the most. I hate when a good recipe goes bad!!

Emily said...

That always drives me crazy when you get so excited over something then it turns out like poo ha.